- Tour to Christ the Redeemer (Cristo Redentor) It is such an iconic image, Christ with hands outstretched looking down over the beautiful bays and beaches of Rio. Views are spectacular but go early as it can get crowded. The statue is within Tijuca National Park-this park has good hikes so you could make a day of it and visit the statue and then hike the park.
- Sugarloaf Mountain (Pao de Acucar) This is the other famous sight of Rio-take a cable car to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain and admire the view of Rio and her beaches.
- Favela tourFavelas are the slums of Rio and you must do this on a tour and not set off to explore by yourself. The slums are set into the hillside of Rio and have the most incredible views over the Coast. Walking tours are lead by local resident guides of the favela and give an incredible insight into life on the favelas.
- See a football(soccer ) match Cariocas as local residents of Rio are known are passionate about their football and you must go to one of the local games. Rivalry is intense and the atmosphere is electric with fans singing and dancing to encourage their team.
- Go to the beach Rio is famous for her beaches with Copacabana and Ipanema being the most famous. Both are beautiful beaches with so much going on-watch the amazing skills of the foot volley players at the back of the beach (volleyball with your feet) or enjoy the passing line of vendors selling food and drinks.
- Speedboat tour to islands out of RioWhen I lived in Rio we would often escape for the weekend to Angra do Reis or Ilha Grande. These are stunning islands and beaches just out of Rio.
- Explore Santa Teresa artistic neighbourhood The Santa Teresa neighbourhood is one of Rio’s oldest neighbourhoods and has developed into a real artist enclave. It’s lovely to spend an afternoon and wander it’s cobblestone streets and look at the galleries and grab something to eat and drink.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time